02 Jan New year. Chapter one
Happy New Year! What will 2017 hold for you? There will be some mystery and surprise, and the usual routine and predictability, but there is also space for your own will to write your story. The best way to predict how this year will look, is to set about creating it!
The beginning of the year is a perfect time for reflecting and setting goals. We let go of things that haven’t served us well the previous year, and endeavour to take up better habits for the year ahead.
I’m a PASSIONATE believer in setting goals. Goals provide anchoring, purpose and direction. Modern day life holds so much opportunity, so many options and so much information, all often at the click of a button. We are much more transient and well travelled, and with all of this comes different needs, expectations.. and goals. Without clear priorities – knowing what’s most important to you – the priorities of the world and other people can end up ruling you.
Goals also change over time. I spent 5 years as a full time mum and in those early days of having a 1.5 year old and a new born baby, getting dressed and leaving the house before midday became a major goal and achievement. Goals can be about the outcome – finishing the dishes or writing that article, or the process – e.g being a more caring person.
My personal motto is to dream big, try my best, set myself up as best I can to succeed and to anticipate and embrace the setbacks that will inevitably happen along the way. So dream big and aspire without attachment – if you don’t reach it, so be it, I bet you’ll have learnt a lot along the way, so next time you’ll get nearer the mark.
Below are some pointers to help you set your goals for the year ahead;
- Find a quiet space where you won’t be disturbed
- Tune in to yourself. What’s your core longing? What do you really, really want? How much do you want it? Perhaps this year it’s improving your relationship with your partner. Being kinder to yourself. Getting that pay rise at work.
- What is your purpose in this life? Your guiding light?
- Dream – Make a list, draw a picture, take photos, get creative.. about everything you want to be, have and experience this year. Incorporate the answers to points 2 and 3
- Looking at your vision, what do you need to let go of and stop doing that is not serving you, or your dreams?
- What do you need to start doing that will serve your dreams and priorities for this year?
- What is already in place that you can build on?
- Now prioritise your dreams. Set 3-5 goals that feel right and realistic for you this year
- Set your intentions for this year, say them aloud, note them on the fridge…offer them out into the world
- Give yourself over to your goals and start your journey for 2017..and remember to have fun along the way 🙂
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver
If you would like professional support in setting your goals for 2017 please drop us a line via our online contact form (www.raiseyourword.com). All of our psychology services are available online and in Australia and Singapore